We are just two crazy in love Architecture Students who believe the Journey is the Destination. "A great architect is not made by way of a brain nearly so much as he is made by way of a cultivated, enriched heart." ~Frank Lloyd Wright~
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Thats my turkey
So over the past few years I have LOVED making many of the sides and pies for thanksgiving but I have never be in charge of the Turkey. Dugan was asked by a ward member if we would be willing to cook a turkey for the ward Thanksgiving dinner (which is a HUGE deal in our ward and is really a thanksgiving dinner). Of course we said yes but we have never done it before. As the day of cooking our Turkey approached we realized that our busy life was going to make it very hard to cook our Turkey. Saturday rolled around. I had work at 6:00 am. After work Dugan and I had to go to the school. Then a little before 1 we went home to get the turkey in the oven. Oh what an adventure. Dugan cut up the celery and onion to put in the bottom of the bag. I tried to handle the 20 lb Turkey. He was a little slippery. But the part I couldn't handle was the neck and whatever the word is for its guts. I can't say it right. Giblets, Gibblits, Guts, whatever aka GROSS. Then I rubbed down the turkey and put it in the bag in in the pan. Dugan put it in the oven. (good thing HE did becasue I probably would have burned myself. Then Dugan and I headed back to the school. Worked on our project till a little before 5. Back home to take out the Turkey. We got home and his little timer popped good thing. We got him out and he was BEAUTIFUL. There was tons of drippings for gravy. Next comes the gross part boiling the guts. SO GROSS! I would have thrown them away but the ward asked us to bring them cooked. After all was said and done at our house I felt like I needed to disinfect my WHOLE kitchen. I am sure there were salmonella everywhere but don't you worry I killed it ALL. Then we went to the church to help get things ready for the dinner. I helped with the finishing touches on the tables and cutting the dessert. Of course Dugan got stuck cutting up all the Turkey Guts from all the turkeys. Dugan asked why he got that Job and Bro. Hatch (the guys in charge) replied because I knew you would get the job done with no complaint. Anyway after Dugan and I finished our task. It was time for us to go. Yes after all this turkey cooking we couldn't even stay for the dinner. Everything looked ssssoooo yummy and I wouldn't be having any of it. Dugan and I were off to the movies to meet our friends for the new James Bond movie. Dugan and I ended up sharing popcorn and a shake as our first meal of the day at 7:00 pm. That's what happens when you double book yourself. The movie was pretty good and it was nice to be able to sit next to Dugan for more then 5 minutes. All and all we made it through the day and I am now even more excited for Thanksgiving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey char, that is crazy. i've never made a turkey. but now you know how! I'm always so weird about salmonella too! how was bond? so i'll be in town next week and I think Kris is planning a shower for saturday the 29th in the morning, but I haven't talked to her about it in a while. Either way I'd like to plan a get together. I'll try and let you know when I get more info.
Good on YA CHAR BAR! Proud of you! That is no easy task, and the best part? They asked you to do it because you would do it without complaint, like everything you and Dugie do. Good job!
Post a Comment