Sunday, August 8, 2010

We've Got Talent

Monday~ Found out that I have the best group of kids EVER. Today was so much fun. After check in we took the bus to Gateway to go to the movies. We were so lucky to be able to participate in a Sneak Preview of the Movie Nanny McPhee Returns. I never saw the first one so I didn't know what to expect. It was so funny. I am sure that it helped that I was surrounded by children that made funny comments to me through out the whole movie. It is so fun to watch a kid movie with kids. After the funny movie we headed over to the fountains to have lunch and play in the water. The day was so much fun I wanted to do something a little extra so we went and got a little frozen yogurt. They were so well behaved. We took the bus back to campus where we got a jump start on our piece for the talent show. After the kids got picked up the counselors had a meeting where we practiced our dance for the talent show. We will see how it all turns out. I came home and had a good training workout. Dugan and I had fun night learning about Sharks. We LOVE SHARK Week.

Tuesday~ In the morning we met with our elective groups where I took the kids Fencing. They had a fun time. After lunch my kids and I found a free room and planned out our skit and dance for the talent show. It was so fun to have it be what they wanted. I let them choose everything. We ended up starting with a skit where the kids are playing a game. I come in and tell them that one of the girls has to practice the piano. The girls who's talent was playing the piano played a little bit. Then she stands up and says "I'm sick of practicing, I just want to Move It." Then all the kids break into a dance they made up to the song "I like to Move It, Move It" from Madagascar. After they are done I come in and ask if the girl had practiced. They said yes then they all tell what one of there memories from camp is. The End! I am so excited for tomorrow. After camp we had a counselor dance practice again. Then I had to go and pick up a few more things for there costumes. That night I made 5 create paper grass skirts and 3 create paper vest. Each kid also had a different color leis. I was watching a movie with Dugan while making the costumes and told him I thought it was a little funny because I thought it would have been a lot longer before I would be making costumes for kids. ( I was thinking of my own future kids of course) But it was really fun. Then I got my 80's costume together for the counselors piece. I was lucky to get in an abs workout in even though I had been dancing for hours already. It was a busy night. When it came time to go to bed I was so excited I could hardly sleep. Hope everything goes well.


Wednesday~ Took the kids to there second day of fencing. As soon as we were done we headed back to switch all the kids back to there original counselors. I had my kids go through our piece twice. Then we went in and got our seats for the talent show. It was so fun to have my friend Carrie come with her two kids to see us preform. Thanks for the support Carrie. The talent show began. All the groups had worked so hard considering we had less then 3 hours total to get ready. There were also some good individual talents. It finally came to intermission. I got my kids into there hula skirts and the boys into there vest. We went on and preformed wonderfully. As my kids walked off the stage after they had finished I was overwhelmingly proud of my kids. It had been such a rush hoping everything would go well and they did perfect. There were a few more talents and then it was time for the counselors to do our dance. My kids cheered so loud for me. I had a fun costume on and had a fun time dancing. The talent show was soon over and the parents where there to pick up there kids. What a wonderful day at camp. As I started to walk the 8 minute walk back to my car it began to pour rain. I looked over at one of the other counselors that was walking with me and just smiled and said Today has been so amazing I don't even care if I get soaking wet. I got to go and see a fun big house of my friends boss. Then Dugan and I got to go and see a Free Sneak Preview of the movie The Other Guys. Thanks to my friend who gave us the tickets. It was so much a sneak preview that we had to leave our phones in the car and they had a metal detector that was checking us as we went into the theater. A lot of the seats were reserved for people from the press. I was only in the theater when my eyes began to get heavy and I was out. I slept through almost the whole thing. I was just to tired from the day. Oh well what I did see was fun and Dugan enjoyed it. We came home and I went to bed. Goodnight!

Thursday~ Today seemed very chill after the past few days. We had our last day of Fencing, The kids were getting pretty good and they looked cute in there white garb and masks. Then we had lunch and went swimming. Other then going off the high dive a few weeks ago I haven't been on a diving board in over 10 year. Today at the pool the kids got me to do a flip off the low diving board. It was really fun and they were so proud of me. It was a nice day at the pool. As the kids were getting picked up I became sad. It was the last day for a few of my kids. I am going to miss them so much. I went out to sushi with a few co-workers. We had fun but I was laughing so hard that I gave myself a stomach ache for the rest of the night. I came home and had a good workout. The rest of the night I spent getting my rock and roll costume ready for tomorrow, getting packed and tiding up before Dugan and I leave to go out of town tomorrow.

Friday~ Today was so fun. I spent a few extra minutes getting ready this morning. I had to tease my hair and make it as big as possible, add a little extra dark eye make up and put color in my hair. I felt a little funny when the first parent dropped off there kid. I thought to myself are they sure they want to trust there kids with me looking like this. But all the parents also told me it was ok to spray there kids hair with a bunch of crazy colors. Dugan was so sweet and brought me my camera on his way to work because I had forgot it. As soon as the buses where there we were on and ready to go. We arrived to Classic skating in no time. http://www.classicskating.com/sandy/sandyhome.html
When we got there the kids had there buddies and they could go on the skating rink, play in this bounce house area or in the jungle course thing. I went skating with a few of the kids who needed help. All the kids were having so much fun. They were a little bummed when I made them stop long enough to eat lunch. After lunch a few of the kids put on their swimsuits and went out to the water slides outside. I spent the rest of the time holding hands and skating with all the kids that needed help. My arms were hurting from all the flexing to help the kids from falling. Every time I went to check on my kids I was so happy to see that they were all staying with there buddies. The whole time I kept having little flashbacks of going to the Classic Skating in Orem when I was younger. We had such a fun day. When I told the kids it was time to go they got ready so fast. The bus ride from Sandy was nothing. We made it back to campus in time for Popsicle Friday and awards. My kids got the award for the Most Loving Listeners.
It was such a wonderful week. I was at the Pie (Pizza Place called the Pie) for a little bit before I had to hurry home and get all cleaned up before Dugan got home and we had to leave. We drove to Orem where we met up with my good friend Rachel and her husband. They are moving to Arizona on Monday and we were so lucky to get to see them one last time before they left. We had a wonderful time talking and enjoying a nice dinner at Outback. It was getting late and Dugan and I still had to drive to Cedar City so we had to go. We got to Cedar around 1:00 am. Goodnight!

Saturday~ We slept in!!! It has been a crazy week. We had lunch with my sister, her husband and there little boy. Then we hung out till it was time to go to dinner. It is kind of a tradition to go to this restaurant up the canyon for my moms birthday when we are in Cedar City every year. We had a nice time and made it back in plenty of time to get everything ready before we went to our play. We went over for the orientation of the play we were seeing. We went to the Greenshow and had our yearly summer berry tart and Dugan got some chocolate. When the show was over we headed over to the play. We saw The 39 Steps. It was sssoooo Funny. They were so clever with the way they did things. This is the description of the play.

What do you get when you blend Alfred Hitchcock with Monty Python? A hilarious mystery spoof that will keep you guessing! Murder, betrayal, and espionage intertwine with sly and hysterical nods to many of Hitchcock’s films, resulting in one of the funniest plays to ever hit Broadway. See if you can figure out whodunit as this cast of four transforms into over 150 farcical characters!
http://www.bard.org/plays/39steps.html

After the play we hung out with my parents for a bit and then went to bed.

Sunday~ I woke up early waiting to hear from my mom and dad so I could go over and say goodbye before they left. My mom called me and we met to talk for a bit before my dad got up. I had a nice cheat with my grandma and grandpa Taysom while my parents finished packing up. It was hard to say goodbye but I will see them again at Christmas. After waving goodbye I got Dugan up and we got all ready to go. We made good time driving back to Salt Lake City. We had a quite afternoon at home. I made dinner and then I was missing my parents so made a small batch of my mom's chocolate chip cookie recipe.

What a wonderful week. Two more weeks of camp and then school start. I will just have to embrace every minute.

Working on my kids costumes.
Dressed up in my Rock n Roll costume for camp.
Dugan and I in Cedar City at the Shakespearian Festival.


No comments: